Melbourne, designated in 2008 as one of UNESCO’s Cities of Literature, is home to a vibrant, diverse and active scene of live spoken word events, poetry readings, open mics, poetry slams and poetically infused performance nights. With over twenty-five regular events around the city, mostly monthly, most weeks feature at least three or four events, with some weeks featuring events every night of the week, with some nights presenting difficult choices for those wanting to get to everything. Many events regular feature and pay performers to perform, featuring some of Melbourne’s rich talent, as well as interstate and international performers visiting the city. Melbourne Spoken Word also hosts special one-off events for some performers with the aim of bringing in wider audiences to spoken word and introducing them to Melbourne’s rich scene.
If you’re a performer that practices spoken word, and is thinking about touring. Melbourne is a great place to consider to add to your tour itinerary. We’re not in the position to help with travels costs, but we can help you get in contact with gig organisers or see if a one-off show is possible.
Email benjamin AT melbournespokenword DOT com or via our contact page with a bit about yourself, where you’ve performed, a video or two of you performing and when you’re thinking of coming to Melbourne.
Some of the regular Gigs around Melbourne
- Passionate Tongues Poetry – Every second Monday at The Brunswick Hotel
- The Dan Poets – Every Saturday afternoon at The Dan O’Connell Hotel in Carlton
- Slamalamadingdong – Last Thursday of the month at 24 Moons, Northcote
- Ruckus Slam – Generally last Monday of the month at Bar 303, Northcote
- The Owl & Cat Readings – first Sunday of the month at The Owl & Cat Theatre, Richmond
- Blame Smarty Presents – once a month of Thursday night, time of the month varies, at Tago Mago, Thornbury
- Mother Tongue – Second Friday of the month at Pulse Studios, Brunswick
- Girls on Key – Second Wednesday of the month at Open Studio, Northcote
- Speak Up – Last Friday night every second month at Incinerator Gallery, Moonee Ponds
- La Mama Poetica – Tuesday nights, varied times of the month, quarterly, at La Mama Theatre, Carlton