Melbourne Spoken Word supports, promotes and lists any event within Melbourne and wider Victoria with a primary focus on spoken word. Defined as the main part of your event presented through the instrument of the spoken voice (as opposed to primarily the singing voice), including but not limited to poetry, poetry readings, spoken word performance and storytelling, with the exception of stand-up comedy (as it is its own distinct art form) and speeches and speaking tours. Music and poetry nights, “all arts” open mics, and festivals or larger events where spoken word is one component are advised that their events will not be listed.
This does not exclude events that use other art forms, such as music, to augment, accompany or support spoken word, but spoken word and poetry must be the explicit and primary artform for the event to be listed by Melbourne Spoken Word, which is decided at the discretion of the Melbourne Spoken Word committee. The majority of the performers and the headline performers must be poets/spoken word artists and spoken word and poetry must be clearly stated in all forms of advertising.
When you’re listing your event, please make sure that:
- Your event includes an image without any text, graphics or overlays
- Your blurb is written in the third person
- You fill out all of the relevant information
- Your blurb also includes accessibility information and relevant information such as how to sign up for the open mic/slam if there is one
- Events submitted incorrectly cannot be guaranteed to be edited or fixed before your event happens. If we have time, we endeavour to contact the organiser to amend or resubmit but this is not always possible.